Skip to main content

Pentagon cancels all contracts to build Trump’s border wall


The Pentagon has cancelled all of Donald Trump's border wall contracts, according to the Biden administration.

"Consistent with the president's proclamation, the Department of Defense is proceeding with canceling all border barrier construction projects paid for with funds originally intended for other military missions and functions such as schools for military children, overseas military construction projects in partner nations, and the National Guard and Reserve equipment account," Deputy Pentagon Spokesperson Jamal Brown said in a statement.

The contracts being cancelled are any that used funding originally intended for use by the military and its functions.

Mr Brown said the move was reflective of the Pentagon's mission to provide for the military and military families.

"Today's action reflects this administration's continued commitment to defending our nation and supporting our service members and their families," he said.

It is not immediately clear if the change would halt all border projects, but it will stop any relying on Defense department funding.

Despite his repeated claims that Mexico would pay for the border wall, Mr Trump repeatedly leaned on US taxpayers to foot the bill for the construction, drawing from funds allocated to the Defense department for use by the military.

While those projects will pause, there are plans for the Biden administration to continue some work on the border; earlier this month the Department of Homeland Security announced it planned to repair damage to portions of the wall caused by floods and soil erosion in San Diego, and that it would finish installing surveillance technology in already completed sections of the barrier.

Mr Biden pledged he would not build "another foot" of the wall during his campaign.

Upon taking office, he paused all construction of the wall and commissioned a 60-day review to determine how military money was being used on its constructions.

The review extended beyond the 60 day deadline.

With the latest announcement, conditions at the border are in a state of flux. A Texas judge recently granted private land in Hidalgo County to the government for construction of the wall, and other land seizures had already been approved prior to Mr Biden taking office.

It is not immediately clear how the government will proceed with those acquisitions.

The Trump administration attempted to transfer $2.5bn from military construction projects and was taken to court over the allocation in 2020.

A federal appeals court ruled against Mr Trump, saying the administration had side-stepped Congress in allocating the funds without approval.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Allies of Rep. Adam Kinzinger launch super PAC to support Republicans who have bucked Trump

Founders of the group, which include Kinzinger advisers, are also launching a sister nonprofit to “build a grass roots army,” according to documents reviewed by The Washington Post. Unlike traditional PACs, both organizations can accept unlimited contributions. Nonprofit groups are not required to disclose the identity of their contributors. AD Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.) posted a video on Jan. 7, 2020, the day after pro-Trump riots at the Capitol, saying, “It is time to invoke the 25th Amendment.” (@RepKinzinger/Twitter) The effort will be up against significant head winds, as Trump still holds vast sway over the Republican Party — even after his supporters attacked the U.S. Capitol in an effort to stop the certification of President Biden’s victory. AD The new groups, which aim to mobilize the kinds of anti-Trump donors who backed the now-embattled Lincoln Project, are being launched as the former president is planning to expand his political operation with his own super PAC. Kinzin...

Doctor who spoke out over Trump’s Covid drive-by stunt says ‘I regret nothing’

The emergency room doctor who was reportedly removed from his hospital’s rota schedule for publicly calling out Donald Trump said he stands by his words and does not regret criticising the president for his “insanity” to wave at supporters while getting treatment for Covid-19. Dr James Phillips, who is chief of disaster medicine at George Washington University, was removed from the schedule at Walter Reed as attending physician after he slammed Mr Trump for waving at his supporters from a car while he was infected with coronavirus and risking the lives of accompanying Secret Service agents in the car. “Today, I worked my final shift at Walter Reed ER,” said Dr Phillips wrote on Twitter late on Sunday, he served his last day as attending physician. “I will miss the patients and my military and civilian coworkers - they have been overwhelmingly supportive… I stand by my words, and I regret nothing.” In October, two days after being admitted to the hospital with Covid-19, Mr Trump was dri...

GOP Congressman Skips COVID-19 Relief Vote To Speak At White Nationalist Rally

Rep. Paul Gosar, a Republican from Arizona, spoke Friday night at a far-right extremist rally organized by white nationalist figurehead Nick Fuentes while his colleagues in the House passed a massive coronavirus relief package. Gosar, who has served in Congress for more than a decade, submitted a request to vote by proxy due to the threat of the pandemic. Yet instead of staying home, he traveled to Orlando, Florida, where he served as a surprise headliner at the America First Political Action Conference (AFPAC) alongside Steve King, the white nationalist former congressman from Iowa. The coronavirus aid passed the House with no Republican support and is now under consideration in the Senate. Fuentes, the main AFPAC organizer, attended both the deadly 2017 white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, and the U.S. Capitol riot of this year, although he claims he did not storm the building. His extremist event was held not far from the 2021 Conservative Political Action Conferenc...